Friday, November 15, 2013

Pitches and Playtesting

Today, Jeff C. and I attended an event to pitch Dissonance to an animation class, with the goal of finding animators for the game. Several other related events took place around the same time, including an event to playtest games and Coffee Hour, a weekly get-together for students who work in the computer labs. We remained until all events ended, showing off our game to several people, including game designers, writers, professors, and animators.

Our team leads were unable to attend today, so Jeff and I handled the pitch. Jeff is our sound effect lead and also works on level design. I'm a concept and texture artist. Together, we were able to talk about the direction of our game and present our work so far. As people came our way to ask about our game, it was Jeff who guided players through the game example and me who presented a condensed version of our pitch to anybody who missed it.

It's incredibly wonderful to see the entire team's work together in one location and to get so much positive feedback from others. We still have a ways to go with our literal game, but the concepts are evolved to a point where I can imagine how our game will play in the end.

This was a great experience! I made a lot of notes about presenting our game to others. For one, our current game pitch is a little lengthy. I will definitely be creating another (more condensed) pitch for future use. I like the idea of getting a dedicated writer on our team, so I will be preparing a second pitch especially for that purpose. There's a little work to be done in the meantime, though. With one week of the quarter left, we'll be wrapping up with a blockout of our first level. I expect to continue working on this project through the winter break.

No comments:

Post a Comment